Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Learning something new

Being a protestant, I have never learned much about, nor paid special attention to the pope. However, I have tried to read up on the subject in the past couple of weeks.

According to Captain Ed, Benedict XVI seems to be a good choice, and from reading only some of his first remarks I am impressed with his humility:

"Dear brothers and sisters, after our great pope, John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me, a simple, humble worker in God's vineyard," according to a translation of remarks he made in Italian. "I am consoled by the fact that the Lord knows how to work and how to act, even with insufficient tools, and I especially trust in your prayers.

"In the joy of the resurrected Lord, trustful of his permanent help, we go ahead, sure that God will help. And Mary, his most beloved mother, stands on our side."

I'll continue my research, and if anyone has any applicable links I'd appreciate the help.

Update: Hugh Hewitt has some excellent links.

|