Friday, February 04, 2005

Ownership Society

The biggest single factor, which will make or break our efforts here in Iraq, is whether or not Iraqis will step up and take personal responsibility for their country and their future.

The election turnout leads me to believe that I am not naïve in clinging to my optimism that they will do so, and a story posted on Free Iraqi makes me even more confident in the people of Iraq:

Citizens of Al Mudhiryiah (a small town in the "death triangle") were subjected to an attack by several militants today who were trying to punish the residents of this small town for voting in the election last Sunday.

The citizens responded and managed to stop the attack, kill 5 of the attackers, wounded 8 and burned their cars.

3 citizens were injured during the fire exchange.

I'm not always an advocate of vigilante justice, but I'd sure rather see reactions like this one than scared citizens huddled in their homes, hoping that the terrorists won't pick their house.

The successful election has made the people of Iraq more willing to get off the fence and openly oppose the terrorists.

This story is huge. I'm glad to see it's getting some exposure, and I won't be at all surprised to see more and more like it.

(ht Powerline)

Update: I read about this horrible incident a couple days ago, but haven't yet pointed it out - this is no "popular" insurgency. Thanks to Roger Simon for pointing it out again.

UpdateII: Rummy is optimistic too:

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told reporters at a Pentagon news conference he believes the elections may stiffen the resolve of ordinary Iraqis to fight in cooperation with American forces.

|