Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Eye on Iraq

I just got another Eye on Iraq special edition with some great voter photos. This will be the last Eye on Iraq I'll send from Baghdad (unless the Army flips the script on me in the next 48 hours!) If you're not yet on the distro and want to get in on the action, shoot me an email at beefalwayswins-at-gmail.com.

Blogging will be light over the next week or two, as I'll be redeploying. I'll try to get some photos up from the trip home, but I'm not sure when I'll have full internet access again.

I should be able to post tomorrow, but after that it'll be touch and go.

I sure appreciate all of your prayers and support during my time here, and please remember all the Soldiers still here (including my beautiful wife).

On their 404th day in country - 2 days before we're scheduled to leave - some of the guys I work with got shot up this afternoon. Thankfully, no one was injured, but their humvees aren't too pretty anymore. (not that they ever were!)

Despite all our progress, Iraq is still a pretty dangerous place to be, and as some of us rotate out, we remember what it felt like to rotate in.

Please do remember all the incoming troops and their families in your prayers, as well as the families of the Soldiers who came here with us, but aren't headed home. Their sacrifice is almost too much to comprehend, but were it not for their continuation of the American heritage of selfless service, the rest of us would not be free to enjoy the liberty that makes ours the greatest Nation in the world.

Thomas Jefferson said, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

The American and Coalition service members who have died here are patriots, as are the members of the Iraqi Security Forces who have been killed in their country's first days of freedom.

As a result of their efforts, the determination and perseverance of a great president, and the unrelenting support of the American people, the tree of liberty has taken root in a place many believed to be hopelessly barren - the heart of the Middle East.

Update: Thanks to Wes Roth for a top-of-the-stack link...if Wes isn't one of your first stops, you're missing out.


|