Saturday, January 15, 2005

Report Card

The AP has more news from our public school system. A student who (with the ACLU's help) was suing his school has dropped the suit:

The controversy involving Brad Mathewson's choice of clothing -- including a shirt that said ``I'm gay and I'm proud'' -- deflated with his withdrawal from Webb City High School last month.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which supported Mathewson's suit, said seven other students were sent home in November after refusing to change out of homemade T-shirts in support of their friend. The shirts bore messages such as, ``If this shirt offends you, look the other way'' and ``We support gay rights.''

The school district has said it prohibited the T-shirts because they were disruptive and therefore a violation of school dress code.

I'm in no position to judge whether or not the Tshirt in question was actually disruptive, and thus in violation of the dress code, but I can't help but wonder who the ACLU would have sided with had the Tshirt said "I'm Christian and I'm proud."

Update: For more ACLU action, see Chuck Colson's latest.

|