Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The great divide

Due to my current residence, I get my mail a little late. Thus, I was just reading the December 25 issue of World, which includes an excellent piece by Gene Edward Veith on how some on the vocal left have warned that President Bush is leading us towards a theocracy.

I find it difficult to understand how one could seriously take this position - isolation from true political extremes is the only way I can come up with to explain how an intelligent and rational individual could develop such a skewed viewpoint.

As Roger Simon mentioned, American political viewpoints actually occupy only a small section of the spectrum. As much as we've heard about red and blue in the last couple months, I think it's important to keep perspective. Compared to Kim Jong Il, Castro, Arafat, and Saddam, John Kerry and George Bush look like bosom buddies.

|