Monday, January 17, 2005

Gianna Jessen

Most aborted babies don't have names, nor are their photos similar to this one:


Gianna Jessen was aborted the same year I was born, 1977. However, Toni points out an article that explains how she came to be the pro-life champion she is today.

Apparently, she's been active in the pro-life movement for some time:

She met President Bush in 2002 and has appeared before Congress, including speaking against partial-birth abortion in 1999 and in support of the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act in 2000.

Here's part of her testimony before the Constitution Subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee on April 22, 1996, when she was 19 years old:

Fortunately for me the abortionist was not in the clinic when I arrived alive, instead of dead, at 6:00 a.m. on the morning of April 6, 1977. I was early, my death was not expected to be seen until about 9 a.m., when he would probably be arriving for his office hours. I am sure I would not be here today if the abortionist would have been in the clinic as his job is to take life, not sustain it. Some have said I am a "botched abortion", a result of a job not well done.

I am happy to be alive. I almost died. Every day I thank God for life. I do not consider myself a by-product of conception, a clump of tissue, or any other of the titles given to a child in the womb. I do not consider any person conceived to be any of those things.

Here's another quotation from her:

"I totally believe that the Lord Jesus spared my life and I would not be walking today if it were not for the grace of God and the power of Christ. I know that when you need God to walk every day, you know that God is real."

If stories like Gianna's were more widely known, I think we'd see a definite drop in abortion rates. Abortion advocates constantly fight the spread of the uncomfortable truth that every 'successful' abortion means a life unlived.

|