Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Gay Adoption Update

NYTimes:

The Supreme Court refused on Monday to hear a challenge to a Florida law that prohibits gay men and lesbians from adopting children.

At least for now, the law stands. We've discussed this topic a few times previously, and one point of contention is over the 'gay rights' movement's goal. Some say it's to gain 'equal rights' while others claim that gay activists want social acceptance.

Here are some points in the article that may indicate that the real goal is social acceptance:

Although Florida's adoption law had contained a preference for married couples, the state repealed that provision in 2003. One-quarter of the adoptions in the state are by single people.

Also:

Florida permits gay men and lesbians to be foster parents.

First, I haven't researched Florida's adoption procedures, but I'm interested to know if the law mandates disclosure of sexual orientation.

Second, since gay marriage is illegal in Florida, aren't all gay Floridians single? (I'm not sure if there's a separate category for those engaged in civil unions or if Florida even has civil unions.)

If disclosure is not mandatory and single people are allowed to adopt, then why is there a need to change the law?

If disclosure is mandatory, it seems to me that a legal challenge to that rule would be more likely to bring success than an attack on the ban on gay adoption, and it would yield the same result.

For more on the subject from people who know far more than I, the Family Research Council has "Ten Arguments From Social Science Against Same-Sex 'Marriage.'"

(ht to WorldMagBlog)

Update: After discussion with my roommate, I feel the need to emphasize that I do not know specifics of the adoption process, and thus have no claim to an "expert opinion." However, I do have an un-expert opinion, and I would like to facilitate discussion on the topic. Ergo, you can read more opinions here and here.

|