Monday, January 10, 2005

Another Stingy American

Wendell Cutting has terminal cancer, but right now he's in Thailand as part of the Tsunami relief effort:

"After getting my chemo (three days after the tsunami hit), I told the doctors I was going to Asia. They weren't too happy about it," Cutting said by phone this week from Thailand.
"The doctors said this trip will shorten my life. I believe them. But it's something I had to do. So they gave me some antibiotics and malaria medicine and here I am."

It's amazing what people will do when they're thinking of others instead of themselves:

Cutting, whose humanitarian work has taken him to Kosovo, Afghanistan, Honduras and Iraq, had been working the phones back home, trying to match donated supplies with flights and ships headed to Asia. But he knew from experience he could be much more effective on the ground in the disaster area.

Where does a 58 year old man undergoing chemo-therapy find the strength for this stuff?

"It was a night of deep thinking. It was a night of prayer. I kept thinking about all these desperate people who need help," Cutting wrote in an e-mail to supporters of the small relief group based in Imperial Beach.
"I kept saying to myself, 'Wendell, this is what Gary and I do. This is what we are trained to do.' And of course, I asked, 'What does God want me to do?' "


Inspiring.

(hat tip WorldMagBlog)

|