Saturday, December 11, 2004

Question of the day

In an effort to keep our minds sharp in a somewhat mind-numbing environment, my roommate Dan and I often challenge each other with interesting problems or questions on statistics, ethics, general knowledge, etc. Though today's problem is a simple mathematics word problem, the answer we came up with was a bit surprising.

Imagine a piece of string tied tight around the equator. What length of string would you have to add to raise the string one inch off the earth's surface all the way around the equator?
Assume that the diameter of the earth is 25,000 miles.

If you're bold enough to take the challenge, post your guess in the comments (without reading other people's guesses) before you do the calculations, then come back and post your answer.

I'll update tomorrow with the answer we came up with.

Update: I forgot tomorrow is Sunday...I'll get back with you on Monday. It looks like you're on the right track though.

|