Thursday, November 18, 2004

Here come the bloggers...

Hugh Hewitt opened the floodgates when he blogged on Target's refusal to allow Salvation Army bell-ringers outside their stores. The Boston Globe broke the story, and after Hugh brought the issue to the attention of the blogosphere Target was in trouble - they've been bombarded with emails from shoppers who promise to take their business elsewhere (reminds me of Miracle on 34 th Street).
I respect the company's right to ban the ringers from the premises if they wish, but it sure seems like a Scrooge move to me. By the way, the Globe reports that Best Buy bans ringers too - not sure why Hugh didn't bring the pain on them too.
I'm not a fan of chain stores (or restaurants), and Target is no exception. I'll stick with mom&pop whenever I can.

|